Thursday, January 24, 2008

Because it´s there

"Because it´s there"
That´s what Mallory answered in 1924 when he was asked why he was climbing Everest.

Because it´s there. Because I want to. He had no better reason that that. He had, in fact, the best reason of all: he had no reason.

That´s probably why I have done some things in my life that may bear no rational explanation. And probably some of those things are among the best I´ve ever done.

Why did i worked like a monkey to earn enought to travel to eastern europe sleeping in trains, airports, campsites or abandoned hospitals??
Because I wanted to.
Why did I spend time and effort organizing a voluntering summer university and the went on to 15 exhausting days performing at small villages of Aragon with a group of foreigners??
Because I felt like.
Why did I spend my free time working in our pub in the village, building it with my own hands, carrying heavy weights, exposing my bare hands to below zero temperatures, risking a fall??
Because I liked it.

And I needed no other reasons, and I had no other explanations. And something else, not everyone around me could understand what drove me to do such things. Not that I cared. I didn´t understand either.
I just wanted to make it.
And today I can claim, proudly, that I made it.

Luis

No comments: